The UK Government has recently handed new secure tenancy and Assured tenancy forms to reflect the changes to notice periods in England from today, 1 June.
From the 1st June 2021 notice periods in England that are currently six months, will be slightly reduced to four months.
The notice periods for the most severe cases will stay intact as seen below
- anti-social behaviour (immediate to 4 weeks’ notice)
- domestic abuse in the social sector (2 to 4 weeks’ notice)
- false statement (2 to 4 weeks’ notice)
- over 4 months’ accumulated rent arrears (4 weeks’ notice)
- breach of immigration rules ‘Right to Rent’ (2 weeks’ notice)
- death of a tenant (2 months’ notice)
Starting from the 1st of August notice periods for certain cases where there are four months of unpaid rent will now change to 2 months notice .
Assured Tenancy Forms 3, 6a, and the notes to Form 6a have all been updated and we advise that agents update their systems with the new forms. Secure tenancy forms Part I and Part II have both been updated.
If you fail to provide the correct form this may lead to processes been invalidated
(Arla Property Mark)